Crazy dress

I made this dress from Burda Style Magazine 02/11 #116. The pattern called for a sturdy fabric like gabardine, but I had this fabric and had envisioned a loose fitting, waist-tied tunic type dress for it for a while. When I saw the sketch of the pattern, I immediately grabbed this fabric and decided to overlook the fabric recommendation.

The pattern itself was very straightforward, and I would suggest it for a beginner. I had some trouble matching up lengths (esp. on the sleeve cuffs), but I think that was because of my choice in fabric–the sleeve cuffs are cut on a bias, so I think they stretched and ended up being too long. If you decide to make this dress with a slinkier fabric like I did, I would recommend facing one side of the little sleeve cuffs with a lightweight interfacing. I also had trouble sewing a straight line at the waist to thread the string through, again because of my fabric choice.

Instead of using elastic, I just used a strip of fabric that I sewed shut and turned right side out. The top is a little too big–not sure if that would look different with a sturdier fabric. I’d rather it be tighter throughout the top, but oh well. It turned out kinda cute. Not my favorite ever, but it’s a good spring/fall going out outfit!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s